Thursday, June 10, 2010

Always inviting me in

My first cell group meeting was Yio Chu Kang.
It was a really strange day.
I just got out of camp and a very persistent person called me.
I took that train all the way from Pasir Ris.

Met up with her with whom I have no idea or fancy.
We walked to this small living room which was dimly lit.
The meeting was ordinary but amazingly warm.

"This is a cell group!"
And she left me alone with strangers I have never met.

Then a guy came up to me.
"We believe in sending the ladies home."
As a goodwill new friend, I followed.
And ended up sending all the strangers home and even sent him home.

It was 2 am.

_______________________________

The next meeting was even stranger.
I found myself running from the MRT station to the house.
But I was late from camp.
The singing has begun.
I could only worship behind a shut door.
The house was packed to the door.

It was the same persistent girl seated across the room.
She smiled when she saw I didn't leave.
Said, "Let him come in and sit in front!"
"There is always room for one more!"
I sheepishly entered.
It was completely different from the first meeting I attended.

Every time she spoke the Word.
I blurted "woah" and everyone stared at me.
Again I sheepishly looked away.
I thought that I was the one weird in that room.
She was the one who smiled and said, "That is correct!"

_______________________________

She invited me to meet her husband.
Showed me the study room.
Told me," You can read ANYTHING here!"

I went around.
All the books were really musky.
But somehow I felt a familiar anointing.
I recognize Pastor Kong in that room.
The musky books along musky shelves.
Someone must have plough through these books.
Faithfully replicating.

What a strange feeling again.
She would share hours and hours about "Brother Kong".
She would remember words and words.
Sermon by sermon. Line by line.

Her favourite calling was "Just do the Work of God. Just be in the House of God."
She repeated and proclaimed. Repeated and proclaimed.
"Even if I grow old, I want to be in the House of God."

The revelation about "Worship and face an empty carpark" increases the cup runneth over.
She would tell of "The Good Faithful Servant" as the best means to an end.
She would tell of "Imitating Pastor Kong" as the best act ever.

These were words of Brother Kong.
But Brother or Pastor.
There is that amazing consistency in Yah Lan through these years.
Kong Hee didn't waver.
Yah Lan didn't waver.
A test of time reveals character.

But amplified and multiplied by faith.
Words mixed with Faith.
That is the true gift of Yah Lan.
She consistently amplifies what is already in her hands.

She was the one who told me:
"Be a man who shows Integrity.
Be like Pastor Kong.
You are different from every other.
But I love you just the way you are."

If it were blind following, there wouldn't be Faith multiplying.
If it were blind following, there wouldn't be Love over Law.
If it were blind following, there wouldn't be Hope for the hopeless.

Only consistency can breed consistency.
Pastor Kong impacted a persistent girl's life.
It would be exciting to see it in Annya and Joakim.
Because they have already started.

Once I entered into the house.
Annya called me, not Uncle but:

"Come in! Come in!"

_______________________________

I was so glad to be at the front when she was ordained Pastor.
My lens was heavy.
But my excitement balanced the scale back.

Every other photographer with special passes went up front.
Once again I was strangely left behind a barricade.
But I noticed that she smiled at me.
She knew I would be there.

Pastor, you did not forget me and did not let me go.

With highs and lows, I thank you.
I said before, "You can leave it to me."
But always and always, it has been the other way around.
Since my first cell till now.

Thank you.
For not leaving me behind.

And always inviting me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment