Monday, June 7, 2010

The man I call my Pastor

I remembered entering CHC doors in 2000. That year I thought that no one could be tougher than me.

But I saw this strange man on the stage. He is asian. He preaches quite simply.
But he preached with fire and passion.
He spoke like he knew somebody.
He shared like he knew where he was going.
I was curious. Very curious.

Who is Pastor Kong?

Under his wings, I heard countless testimonies of how he helped.
A man who would go all out for the people he loved.
No one was ever unimportant in his eyes.
So far, I have written to Pastor only 3 letters. One in 2000, 2008 and 2009. And he duly replied every single one of them.
And he remembered our last conversation.
A man who remembers is a man who persists.

I stayed for every service since then. Because I believed there was something more.
Thousands of lives were transformed. Even children and the elderly are being blessed.
We grew because he loved us. And show it.
He helped us locate ourselves. So that we could serve as family.
He never said 'his' church but it was always 'our' church.

I was in the Drama Ministry back then in 2000. Though we were a small team then, he believe in us and helped build a church.
I remembered performing my first stage in a makeshift tent in the neighborhood.
We serve because we believe.
This was the stage where dramatists can bless people in the presence of God.
He believed in this vision.
Is there any greater platform than that?
A place where dramatists can serve for God.

But who is Pastor Kong to me?

When we first shifted to Jurong West, I was one of the first few people to view the building structure.
But we were not there to view a building but to clean it up for service.
The deepest memory to me was cleaning the 4 basement staircases and the lift floors.

What made it even more memorable was the night of my 19th birthday. 3 hours of cleaning in the dark but I was excited.
There were no birthday candles for me.
And the stage is not the only place where I want to be.
Being in the House of God is.

And the doors opened. I saw a pair of beautiful leather shoes. I thought to myself, "I got to be careful and not scratch those."

But the most beautiful thing happened.

The man bended his knees down to help me.
As he got down, he said, "I am sorry, brother. Am I dirtying the floor?"

The man was Pastor Kong.
I was so surprised to see him so close to me that I forgot to greet him.
But the man continued cleaning the floor with me. On his fours.

This is the man I know and I call Pastor Kong.

Pastor Kong has always preached about being a servant. But the man need not preach. Because he himself is the message.
Pastor kept giving and is a very humble man.
I attended SOT and remembered how he would avail himself for every Q&A session possible so that he could meet more students.
He allowed the people to approach him.
He even apologized for not being around more often.

What kind of man who would value others above his own time?
What kind of man who would value others above his own knees?
What kind of man who would value the calling to serve above his own desires?

So many a times, I wanted to give up on myself.
I found the world cruel.
Relationships lied and hurt me.
But in one man. I saw how God can use us.
In one man, I understood how God loves us.
In one man, I learn how His Grace can be sufficient for us.
In one man, I felt how real my God is.

Today, my successes are really a blessing from God and a touch from this man.
I am able to lead cell groups. I am able to lead my work team.
I am able to lead because I learned how to love.
And I learn how to forgive and believe.
I learned how to have integrity.

Can one man make a difference?
Surely when he has God.

Who is Pastor Kong?
No better word than this. He is my Pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment